Monday, September 12, 2011

Better late than never...

Sooo...... I did a little tri this past weekend.  First one since IMSG 2010.  Oh, my how log it's been.  I must preface this by saying that after IMSG I started getting my run on and maintaining my bike somewhat because I was working on a PR'ing a race in February 2011 (Surf City Marathon).  Since my running was going along great and I was feeling really strong and thought my goal was in sight.  Race day was fantastic until mile 10 where I tripped over one of those road reflector things cuz I wasn't paying attention when I was maneuvering around another runner in my way and down I went in spectacular fashion.  Popped back up like nothing happened and kept going blood and all.  By mile 16 knew something was not quite right and hobbled in and got cleaned up and went home.  Next day bam!!!  Ankle swollen,  heck it was a full blown CANKLE!! MRI and Doc says tendon tear so shut'er down. I had to wear a boot for like 3ish months and then finally in June got the OK to ride my bike.  Like any other abnormal athlete I rode my bike....... all the time.  Didn't start running again until July but only short runs like 5-6 miles at best once a week and just in the past month started running 2 times a week.  So now that gives a bit of history leading into this Oly tri this past weekend.

So, my GF talked my into racing the Tri rock Olympic in SD.  Well I have to say it was a disappointment to say the least.  First they shortened the bike course from 20 miles to 14.4 miles because they didn't plan that 9/11 was going to cause a heightened security on the navel base we were to ride on.  Duh???  9/11 and a military base?  They should have thought of that.  Ok, enough of that bitch session.  So let's get back to the race.  Knowing that this was a shortened course I decided to run naked.  No watch or anything.  Just have fun and see where my fitness level is.  Checking out the swim course it looked a bit long.  Longer than 1500m that's for sure.  But non the less i had planned to just put my head down and swim nice and easy and consistent.  Found out later my GF talked to the a couple really nice Coast Guards who set the swim course up and they set it a little over a mile because of a miscommunication. So, none the less we swam and swam and swam.



38 min swim was ok since I haven't been in the pool but a hand full of times in the past month.  I do have to say that I this race I dealt with dehydration a new one for me.  This was a first. I'm usually on my fluids all the time and I thought I was.  Got out of the water and bam..... calf cramp (charlie horse) putting on my bike shoe.  So, took a couple salt tabs and hopefully all will be well.  Legs came around mile 9 on the course and just kept spinning not pushing to hard (which you can tell because my pace was 17.9 mph) because I wasn't sure how this dehydration thing was gonna play on me later on the run.  Since this was a short race I wasn't worried just stay steady and have fun.  Which I did.  When I hit the run my calf cramped up again and I had to stop and stretch a couple times and finally it loosened up around the first mile and then I was able to just keep a 9:15ish pace.  I only know this because I found a guy who was running a pace that looked comfortable and asked what his pace was and we ran until mile 5 when I dropped him to bring it in. I had to walk every water stop a couple steps to dump water on my head and dump water sown my throat because I was soooo thirsty (dehydrated) and finally I just grabbed a full water bottle from the table and ran with it and it made a big difference.  My ankle got a little angry with me at the end so that just shows me that it still could be a factor.  However today the ankle feels great. Velodrome tonight so maybe I'm just over sensitive?  Not sure.  Ended a 10:23 pace on the run so with all the walking and stretching not bad  I guess.

                                                  Me-Sydney the dog and my GF Vanessa

As for the race itself...... 9:00 am swim start and finishing around 11:30 really sucks.  This race was poorly organized and I would think twice about paying $125 for it.  Just say'n. The best thing was racing with my GF and of course it's never a bad day in SD.  More pictures to follow... My Sherpa BF (gotta love him) has my camera back in LA.

I'm on the mend!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment